California DECA was the host state of the 67th International Career Development Conference (ICDC). Over 16,000 members and advisors from across the globe came to thrive in Anaheim, California from April 24-27. California DECA had a record-breaking turnout of over 450 members in attendance, and placed top three in overall association winnings! Listed below are the highlights of the conference.
- Prior to ICDC, California DECA held a Google+ Hangout to inform members about essential ICDC information and to answer frequently asked questions. The state officer team also made a promotional video, which got over 800 views on YouTube!
- California DECA thrived competitively at ICDC with over 60 students place in the Top 10 and 20 students placed in the Top 3.
- California DECA held a competitive training workshop at ICDC this year. Amador Valley’s Laurie Andrews and Monta Vista’s Carl Schmidt shared their knowledge to help us succeed, as well as a guest speaker from Competition University. Also, members competing in the same event category collaborated to help one another thrive!
- The 2013-2014 state officers participated in numerous activities at ICDC, including supporting the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) at the annual Finish Line/DECA Dash Fun Run/Walk and welcoming California’s State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom TorlaksonCalifornia. In addition, California DECA’s State President, Dustin Chiang presented an inspiring speech at Administrator Day.
- Zahra Hadi, former Vice President of Southern California DECA, represented California as a candidate for National DECA President. Zahra set an excellent example of how members can aspire higher, and California wishes her the best of luck in her future endeavors!
California DECA thrived at ICDC this year, and is looking forward to providing members opportunities to MAKE IT COUNT in the 2013-2014 year!