All around the state, school bells are ringing, signifying the end of the 2016-2017 school year. While many students rejoice at a summer free of tests and early starts, there are those who worry, “but what about DECA?”
Thankfully, there is good news! Just because school may be out, DECA does not have to do the same, so here are five ways that you can show your DECA love during this #SummerOfDECA.
- Fundraise for the MDA: The Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) is a national partner of DECA dedicated to curing muscular dystrophy, ALS and related diseases. During this summer, invite your chapter and some friends in hosting fundraisers to give back and support the MDA or other amazing organizations.
- Study for your competitive events: Summer break is full of free time, so spend some of it preparing for your competitive events and cluster exams! Start studying those PIs, planning out your written, and forming your team if you have one. Remember, the early bird catches the worm!
- Brainstorm goals with you chapter team: For chapter officers, summer break is the perfect time for some team bonding and brainstorming for the year ahead! What are your goals – do you want to increase membership, find more sponsors, or outreach more in the community? Find a day to have a small activity to really get to know the people you will be working with and make a plan that will lead your chapter to success!
- Host chapter bonding events: Bonding should not just be for officers, but chapter members too! Spend some quality chapter time when everyone is free of all the pressures of school and competition to really show why DECA is like a family.
- Post of social media: Lastly, California DECA would love to stay up to date with all your summer activities, so wherever you go and whatever you do this summer, don’t forget to take a picture of you holding your DECA sign! Participate in our campaign by posting it with the hashtags #SummerOfDECA and #DECATakesYouPlaces and tag @CaliforniaDECA in all of your Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter posts!
We hope you have an amazing summer full of LIMITLESS possibilities!
– Team 67